Sunday, June 28, 2009

What does your school show?

I pose the question because this week we found out what a wonderful summer school program the Kennett School District has. This is where Colton and Whitney have been attending summer school. Last week Colton came home telling me that they were watching Pursuit of Happiness, which I know is PG-13. He is 11 and it is a show I hadn't planned to let him watch until he was much older. (I don't really think PG-13 is very good for many teens.) Anyhow, I told Colton and Whitney that if they show a movie to please ask the teacher what the rating is and if it is PG-13 that the are not to watch it and need to tell me. Whitney came home Tuesday and said she had to sit in the corner and read a book during the movie her class watched because it was PG-13. She had asked her teacher what the rating was and told her she couldn't watch PG-13. (BRAVO to my daughter for being so brave!!!!) The teacher told her she didn't know what the rating was so she'd just have to sit in the corner and read a book. AAGGHHHHHH! I was so mad that the teacher would make no effort to find out the rating (Fantastic Four 2005 - PG-13), And that she would punish my daughter by making her go to this little alcove in the corner of the class and read while the rest of the class watched the movie. I called the school and of course, the principal was gone for the day.

Wed. we headed up to St. Louis to the Dr. for Luke's Diabetes check-up. He has done better this quarter! A1C is at 8.4 we are very pleased with his progress. Back to the story. So on the way up to St. Louis I called the principal. I Asked her what the school policy was for movies. She said that teachers could show G or PG movies but that she leaves it to the discretion of the teacher. I was furious, because she started to defend the teachers actions when I relayed the events. She felt it was appropriate for the teacher to send the student to another class during the film if they couldn't watch it. (that would be fine if it had to do with some religious beliefs, but she didn't send her to another class, she made her sit alone. Second she showed an inappropriate age movie to 8 & 9 year olds, without parent approval.) The principal couldn't see that it was that big of a deal, which made me more mad. She insisted that they hardly ever show a movie, which is not true, a friend of mine has a daughter who had that teacher last year and she said they put a movie in every time the kids couldn't go outside due to weather or whatever. The principal didn't apologize for having this happen at school. She didn't offer any solutions or indicate that she would enforce the school policy or anything. Finally she said she would talk to the teacher. Well, the teacher was less than nice to Whitney the next day when she put in another movie, telling her in an annoyed tone that the movie isn't PG-13 in front of the whole class. I was afraid she'd take it out on her. I almost went to the school Thurs. but felt that it would have been less effective with the attitude the principal had. We called the School Superintendent and Jason & I met with him Friday (the last day of summer school.)

I organized my notes and printed ratings for the shows that had been view at school both middle school and the elementary. I was so nervous so I said a lot of prayers. Thankfully it went very well. He was shocked that any pg-13 movies had been show at all in either school and the principals hadn't stopped it. He was mad that the teacher singled Whitney out in front of the class. The teachers are suppose to fill out a movie request form and it is suppose to be approved by the principal before showing a film. Obviously that hasn't been happening or it would have been caught before it was ever shown. He was very sorry it happened and was going to set up a meeting with the principal and then review the movie guidelines with the all of the teachers at their summer meeting to make sure that follow the procedures for such things this coming year. Also, He also said he would get back to us after his meeting. I felt really good about it and hopefully things will shape up for a while. The teachers have just gotten lax in preparing activities to fill the teaching gaps. We actually do not belong to the Kennett School District but we will have to do this all over at our district this year because they too have gotten lax with the policy, letting kids bring movies from home and such. It seems to be more of a problem with the younger teachers. The Superintendent agreed with us that things have gotten too lax. I pointed out that the student code of conduct would never tolerate the things spoken or viewed or worn in those types of movies and it is a double standard to expect the students to act one way, yet show something contrary when they are at school. I hope it will be better, but we shall see. It's a small town...I guess I should check out topix to see if my name is now being smeared all over the gossip section. Oh well, life goes on.

6 comments:

amiee said...

WHAT??????????? This is the craziest story ever! and Poor Whitney! How humiliating to be called out in front of the entire class!! Oh man, I would have wanted to punch that teacher! and why would ANY ADULT think it was oK to show a pG-13 movie to 8&9 year olds????? OR ANYONE LESS THAN 13??? I bet A LOT of parents would totally disapprove, just like you did. I am glad it went well with the last meeting. I hope you see major improvement from now on, and I hope that teacher doesn't take it out on Whitney!!!

Erin said...

WAY TO GO!!!! I'm so sorry for Whitney though! How sad! I can't believe that movies are shown so much at that district. My Sarah is going into first grade this year, so I'm going to really be aware of any movies played at school. Hopefully your district will put a stop to the laziness. :)

Crystal Erickson said...

Good for you Whitney! Way to go MOM! It is one of my biggest concerns about moving....new schools AHHHH!

Mary said...

Looove it...when you, the parent, have to point out the flaws of our educational system in protecting the morals of our children, even though they are suppose to be teaching those very morals!!! Way to go.

The Rare-its said...

you know what mels? when i read this, it made me think of all the people who say- if only the parent's would ..., do this, this, and that- etc, etc.

And you are living proof that parents do care, do stay involved and are teaching your children. Bravo to you and to whit for being strong like you taught her. I hope she see's the good in it, even if other people have closed minds and hearts.

I love you all, and just want you to know I think you're doing awesome. This is the kind of mother I want to be, should I ever get to- especially as the world advances in technology and escapes.

keep it up sis :) yer doin' good!

btw- BAH on the crusty rude teacher and principal. AaaaGH people..learn some respect!

Tricia said...

You did what the right thing - and so did Whitney!! We do have a policy in our schools regarding movies and I have signed many forms about movies. G rated are allowed in general and anything else has to have parent approval. If the kids don't have their note - they don't see it. I agree that PG-13 are generally yucky. They are sprinkled with inappropriate material and especially not good for 9 year olds! Even Wade and I are careful. If your name is "Smeared" - consider it a compliment for standing up for what is right!