Sunday, May 10, 2009

Surprise Visit....

What a delight it was this week. Stuart and Kimber were on their way to St. Louis and Navoo from Mississippi, they invited me to meet them for lunch. I met them off the I55 in a small town - hole in the wall restuarant for lunch. (Chubby's - BBQ) What a treat it was to meet Kimber for the 1st time and their darling kids. Stuart Grange was the Young Single Adult chairman in Elko when I was quite young (immature, crazy and young). I served as the secretary to him and Tricia Dispain (now Aagard) was his co-chariman. I have to say that he be came a dear friend. He tolerated my youthfulness, crazy ideas and a few pranks (however, he had a few of his own like the time when he placed a smoker gadget on my engine that began to smoke as soon as the engine was turned on. It scared the daylights out of me and then I saw him laughing and new it was a prank. He wasn't a loud person, but also wasn't afraid to defend his territory either. Such as the time when Trish and I cupped his fence with a message and oreo'ed his front door. He could tell something was up as we saw him driving down the dirt lane to his trailer and we tried to gun it out of the cove where his trailer rested. We were not fast enough and he blocked us in. He at least made dinner for us. We tortured him with loud songs, messing with his dryer while his clothes were going but he wouldn't move his truck. Needless to say at some point he asked us if we were going to go home. We made a sarcastic comment about him not moving the truck, when we looked out the window the truck was gone. He had his roomate or somehow moved the truck without us knowing. I don't know how long it had been moved. He was a character.)
Like I said Stuart was a great friend. I appreciated his support while I served my mission. He would send letters every once in a while updating me on the YA scene at home. Every once in a while he threw in a $20. Heaven bless him for that. It usually showed up near the end of the month when I was scrimping by. I can't tell you what a blessing it was when it came. The greatest letter I got was when he told me he was going to the temple. I didn't even know he was preparing to go. It was the greatest news. Overall I think Stuart is a great guy. The last time I saw him was a trip he took to Washington DC with his sister. We lived outside Philly and I set him up on a blind date. Jason and I went down to meet them for dinner. It was so fun to see him. I was really sad the LDS girl I sat him up with wasn't dress temple worthy and I felt bad. After that trip though, we got news that he got married. Something about lost luggage and a great girl who worked for Delta who helped him find it:) I was shocked and elated how fast he was married. She must have been wonderful girl who won his heart and finally got him hitched;)

It was such fun meeting their family and I enjoyed every minute of it. They have 3 young kids who are just adorable. Thanks Stuart and Kimber for stopping to see me and for treating me to lunch, you didn't have to do that, I'm not surprised though, that is just how Stuart is (he went and paid before I realized the check had been placed on the table.) It made my day to see them!

3 comments:

The Rare-its said...

It's always fun to see your good friends..I liked reading all about your memories.. some of them I knew..and others I didn't.

Stuart and Kimber said...

We had a great time! Wish we could've met the rest of your sweet family. Thanks for introducing us to Chubbys!

(The pranks don't surprise me at all...)

Tricia said...

Just me here. You know...the OTHER one! I haven't been to Chubby's either!!!! My memory was a little different though- didn't he hold us HOSTAGE and we had to sing Happy Birthday to that silly dog?? How old was that dog anyway - or was it Frank's birthday? I'm not sure now. I do remember playing cards for a lot longer in his house than we planned on. You know, it was supposed to be a get in and get it done sort of prank. Stu had other plans - as always. The list goes on and on -glad you two got together! Remember I'm only in Wyo!